- With My Wellness
- On What Is True
- I Keep Coming Home
- Seeing Us Clearly
- And Even If We Aren't Believed
- Love and White Supremacy
- The Lie of White Supremacy
- The Absence of Clarity
- Free Thought
- Whole Healing
- We Owe You Nothing
- White Feelings
- Black Lives Matter (Unequivocally)
- Reclaiming Consistency
- States of Shine
- He Took A Knee (Poetry Video)
- Black and Brilliant
- "Hold Some Back For Me" (#AlittleSomethinMakeda)
- Give Me Seeds (Support Sara's Writing)
- Welcome to Our Paradigm
- When They Silence Our Grief
- Standing in My Grief
- The Lie Is Loud
- That's Not a Compliment, That's White Supremacy
- Kinky Curls
- Truth Telling
- Life Lives to Love
- Loving Black People
- Where Our Power Lives
- Listen to Your Body
- My Boundaries Teach You How To Love Me
- Righteous Anger VS Entitled Anger
- Hypocrisy Made Evident (#NoBanEver)
- How We See Ourselves
- Untitled Track: Thoughts on Being Human, Etc
- Black Girl Rise (Poetry Video)
- Free Soul (Lyric Video) and EP Release!
- It Is Time for America -- To BECOME.
- If He Gets to Be President (Music Video Release)
- This is a Message for Black Women
- He Took A Knee
- The Inhumanity of White Supremacy
- I Believe That Love Will Win
- I'll Say It How I Want To EP Announcement!
- Meet Makeda!
- Shine Time
- I UNAPOLOGETICALLY Center Myself
- On White Leaders Who Dehumanize Black People
- A Space for Me
- Black History is Human History, Human History is Black History
- Begin Worthy
White supremacy is a lie. It’s entire existence relies on the belief of itself. White supremacy relies on white people hating, distrusting and dismissing us so much that you fail to notice that the act of doing so has given you nothing. You remain without peace or true prosperity. You are no more safe than the rest of us. Not really. You may not be gunned down in your own apartment but the destruction of the Earth, of the Earth’s resources, of the humanity within you — leaves you without safety and security, too.
There are moments where my clarity is brilliant. Where who I am, and what I’m here to do, shines through so undeniably that I have no choice but to take action, and step forward, and keep moving with overwhelming optimism. And there are moments where confusion finds me. Where insecurity finds me. Where doubts find me. Where other people’s projections find me. Where the space between visions and present realities find me.
You’re conflating your “free thought” With the lies of white supremacy Drilled in from your infancy Filled in so indignantly Do you think that this monopoly On how we’ve all been taught to be Lends itself to being free? Feeds on truth’s humility? You wanna talk for a man But right there that’s where you’re wrong The man is just a letter And the system is the song And the song’s been going on
I often see people share work, including my own, with the caveat of “listen up white people” or “white people you need to read this.” Do you know what that does? It marginalizes my work and centers whiteness as its audience. It tells Black and Brown People that my work isn’t for them. When the truth is that my work is first and foremost for me. Which means my work is first and foremost for them.
Most of my clarity was born from contrast; the result of years of bending, breaking and shaping myself to meet my perception of other peoples expectations of me. Performing to meet expectations that were ultimately rooted in white supremacy and patriarchy. I understand white supremacy because I have the insight of participating in a system that taught me to betray myself. I grew up in overwhelmingly white spaces. I was intensely and relentlessly bullied as a child, and I believe compliance became a way of coping.
The work to dismantle white supremacy IS ITSELF often clouded by white supremacy. By the effort, and expectation, surrounding who gets centered and what it means. By the attempts to disengage with the substance of what we’re saying by focusing on the tone of how we said it. By acting as if your participation in this conversation, in this effort towards healing, is solely for our benefit. It is not. Nor should it be.